Interesting day today, lots seemed to happen – some good, some not so good.
The day started with a lazy morning, although I did manage to get to work for 9am despite not leaving the house until 7.45am. Result!
I hadn’t seen my manager for a while (he’s been on leave and then I was at Warwick yesterday) so caught up on a few things and spoke to him about the progress of the inductions work. Caught up on emails and planned my priorities for the day – although they changed during the course of the day!
I had my appraisal at 11am and was in there until 12.40pm – didn’t seem that long but I always seem to have loads to discuss! Discussed my progress since our last meeting at the end of my probation, and spoke about different areas of work I’ve been doing. We set some personal targets to focus on for the time being, but will also review those and add more specific targets when the new strategic plan is in place.
1pm Departmental strategic plan for next three years was launched and emailed to all staff. I printed a copy to read with my lunch – had a lovely jacket potato in the staff room today (along with a fat free chocolate brownie baked by a colleague!).
1.45pm Returned to office and joined in conversation about the plan (there has been quite a build up to the plan so it was a fairly big deal).
2pm Another important email, this time to all University staff about the financial situation. Until now we’ve been fortunate in that all savings have been made through natural wastage (i.e. retirement, people leaving) but sadly this is no longer the case. Been expecting it for a while really, but still came as a bit of a shock. Obviously it’s still early stages so we don’t know much about what will happen yet, but as you can imagine it was all most people talked about for the afternoon.
3pm onwards I did manage to get a little bit of weeding done and we also tried some furniture rearranging (manager is keen to better utilise space now we’ve withdrawn quite a bit of stock), but then moved everything back when we realised our plans didn’t quite work. Took a (very blurry!) picture of the amusing sight of trying to fit our new books stand into the lift! Finished the afternoon in Teaching Practice with a chat to a colleague about weeding progress. She’s offered to provide some assistance from her team which is great as we should hopefully work through it a lot quicker. Emailed her my spreadsheet of items which haven’t been borrowed much in recent years so they can pull the items off and I can then just review the stock to ensure we’re not withdrawing anything I want to keep.
Colleague kindly offered me a lift part of the way home so got the earlier bus home. Now waiting for a friend to arrive who’s visiting for the weekend. 🙂